- Assoc.Prof. (PhD) Zeynep TUNA ULTAV
Ongoing Scientific Research Projects
- Interactive Digital Exhibits To Experience Architectural Heritage: The Case of Balcony Balustrades of Ankara (1950-1975) Scientific Research Project, Yaşar University, 2019
- Assoc.Prof.(PhD) Zeynep TUNA ULTAV
- Lect. (PhD) Daniele Savasta
- Lect. Gökhan Keskin
- Prof. (PhD) Meltem Gürel (Advisor)
- Ekmel Ertan (Advisor)
- Cenk Sönmez (Advisor)
Summary: This project focuses on the adoption of computational design practices for the visualization of architectural building components and their reflections on society. The idea is to initiate a collaboration between the disciplines of interaction design and architectural history and experiment with the possibilities offered by digital tools to interpret, appreciate and exhibit architectural elements which by definition exist in a widespread geographical distribution that makes them difficult to see, compare understand in association. As a specific case, a collection of photographs of balcony balustrades is adopted as a starting subject of the investigation. This selection includes almost 2000 apartments built between 1950 and 1975 in the city of Ankara. This era is considered important, because especially, marking the Private Land Register Law, 1954; and marking the Property ownership law, 1965, are turning points in terms of dwelling production in Ankara, being the capital, as well as in Turkey.
The aims of the project are as follows:
- To develop the boundaries of interactive digital exhibits towards the specificities of the representation of architectural elements
- To explore the effect of architectural building components to society and its collective memory
- To preserve a rich record of architectural building components data in an accessible archive
Conference Papers (May 2014 – September 2020)
- Bengisu, E., Chatzikonstantinou, I. Tuna Ultav, Z. “Differences in Learning Criteria between Digital and Analog Drawings in Technical Drawing Courses”, ArchDesign15, Mimar Sinan University, İstanbul, 6-7 July 2015. (E-Proceedings: ed. H. Tulum, DAKAM Yayınları, İstanbul, 2015, pp. 487-97. ISBN: 978-605-9207-06-5).