HEAD OF THE COMMISSION
Assoc. Prof. Zeynep TUNA ULTAV
MEMBER OF THE COMMISSIONS
Res. Assist. Burçin HANCI GEÇİT
Res. Assist. Fulya ÖZBEY
The Faculty of Architecture
Department of Interior Architecture and Environmental Design
The Internship Guide
The students of Yaşar University are obliged to engage in an internship in accordance with the Internship Instructions of Yaşar University.
The duration of each internship is 20 workdays. The Internship involves two parts; internship of construction site and internship of office. It is compulsory for the students to enroll UFND 091 Occupational Health and Safety I course before doing their construction site internship.
- Students practice their internship in principle during the summer months.
- Students who have completed an internship in the summer months are registered and evaluated within the internship course (INAR 3311& INAR 4411) after the completion of the internship. If these students are in graduation, graduation procedures are carried out (only those students who are obliged to take internship course for graduation).
- If there are students who can graduate at the end of the Fall/Spring semester, besides the other courses that they have to take, they can enroll in the internship course if their weekly schedule is appropriate. In this case, the Departmental Internship Commission will announce the submission dates. (Students who are able to carry out the internship course together with the other courses they take)
- Students who are going to graduate at the end of the summer semester are required to register for the summer practice course at the Summer School. In this case, all documents related to the internship must be submitted to the Departmental Internship Commission by August 31. Otherwise, “U” grade will be given to the student (Students who take internship course in Summer School)
- Students who exceed the duration of their education will be charged 1 ECTS determined by the Board of Trustees.
- Students who were in the Erasmus+ program has to enroll INAR 3311 and INAR 4411 courses in the first semester after their arrival. Students submit their internship files within the general procedure. However, they have to apply for Departmental Eramus+ Committee for grade adaptation.
- Depending on type of the Erasmus Internship (construction site or office), it will be counted as INAR 3311 or INAR 4411 courses if the student is evaluated as successful. Students who take ERAS102 course will graduate with at least 245 ECTS and ERAS103 students with at least 247 ECTS.
The route to be taken by students during their internship period:
- Starting from the fall semester, the students are going to search for firms that are in conformity with the features mentioned in Part 2.
- The students must fill out the Internship Information Form in duplicate and get them signed and stamped by the executives of the firms they wish to complete their internships. After that, students are going to take these forms to the Internship Commission and then to the Faculty Secretariat for approval. Student will hand over one of these approved documents to the Internship Commission and the other document will be handed over to the Human Resources. (Thus, the insurance procedure application will have been completed.) Students who are not approved by the Commission will search for another internship place. Approval for the place of internship must be made until the end date of the final exam period.
Yaşar University pays the insurance payments of the students taking their internship period.
- In case a firm selected by the students demands documents which state that the students have to serve their internship, the students can download the Internship Obligation Form and get the form approved by the Office of Head Department and hand in the form to the firm.
(Unless selected firms demand this form, students do not have to arrange it.)
- The students are to download The Internship Evaluation Form, The Internship, Acquirements Report and The Internship Record Book.
- The Internship Evaluation Form: At the end of the period of internship, this form along with the Internship Record Book have to be put into a closed envelope signed and stamped by the authority of the firm note of confidentiality. (The students are forbidden to open this envelope) Eitherstudents may deliver the forms to the Commission of Internship or the forms may be posted as registered by the authority of the firm to the Office of Head Department.
- b) The Internship Acquirements Report: This form involves the positive and negative parts in which the students state their acquirements during the internship, the contribution of their education to the internship and any point that they find inadequate during their internship. Each part has to include 150 words minimum.
The language of The Internship Acquirements Report is supposed to be English and to be typed through a computer.
- c) The Internship Record Book: It is the notebook where the daily work followed up and the work contributed to are presented in details with the help of visual materials. Every information in this notebook (daily tracked works, drawings and visuals) must be in line with the format in the website.
- Students are responsible for keeping track of the work and recording it on daily basis in the Internship Record Book. (At least 150 words for each day.)
- During the 1 month period following the beginning of the next academic year, the students completing their internship must scan The Internship Acquirements Report and The Internship Record Book (stamped and signed by the firm) upload to the Lectures system within the announced dates. (The Internship Committee may ask for the original internship files if it is needed.) The Internship Evaluation Form will be delivered within the closed envelope to the Internship Commission.
- The Internship Record Book must be absolutely typed by means of computer. The language may be either Turkish or English.
- As a result of the evaluation by the Commission of Internship, the students will be graded with “S” for successful and with “U” for unsuccessful results. The students considered unsuccessful must redo their internship. Also, If the student do the internship and enrolled the course but did not submit the internship files the student achieves “U” grade. In this case, the student has to enroll the INAR 3311 or INAR 4411 course within the following semester and submit the internship files within the announced dates by the Departmental Internship Commission.
- If the student is required to revise his/her Internship Record Book after the evaluation by the Commission of Internship, the student will be inform about it. The student has to upload the revised Internship Record Book to the ‘Lectures’ system within the 10 workdays after the revision announcement by the Departmental Internship Commission.
- If the student do the internship but did not enroll the INAR 3311 or INAR 4411 courses: the student has to enroll the INAR 3311 or INAR 4411 course within the following semester and submit the internship files within the announced dates by the Departmental Internship Commission.
Evaluation Criteria: Important Notice: For commission evaluation of internship reports, the internship date reported to the Department Internship Commission, the total number of days and the place should be the same as the submitted internship report. All the documents to be delivered with the internship report stated in the internship regulations must be delivered on time and in full.
Internship reports that provide these conditions will be evaluated on a total score of 100: %70 is for the training record book. (50% for detailed content, 25% for images and attachments), 20% for professional acquirements, and 5% the for evaluation form from the company executive. Depending on these three criteria, students need to achieve at least 50 score out of 100 to be considered as successful.
|The Internship Record Book||70%|
|Detailed content (%50)|
|Visuals and attachments (%20)|
|The Internship Acquirements Report||25%|
|The Internship Evaluation Form||5%|
The following forms and the documents;
Internship Obligation Form (If needed)
The Internship Evaluation Form
The Internship Record Book
The Internship Information Form
The Internship Acquirements Report
to be provided by the students for the application for internship can be found under the heading of ‘The Faculty of Architecture the Commissions of the Department of Interior Architecture and Environmental Design’ in the Website of Yaşar University.
The Periods and the Qualities of Internship:
The students of Department of Interior Architecture and Environmental Design who complete the 4th semester (who passed INAR 2220) shall realize the construction site internship. Those who fulfill the construction site internship successfully will realize the office internship at the end of 6th semester.
The Internship of Site (Practicum):
The students of the department who complete the 4th semester are obliged to do internship for 20 workdays at construction sites, which are supervised by the Chamber of Architects/Interior Architects and have the quality of architectural work.
The students must select the course of INAR 3311 Summer Practice for Interiors (Construction Site) during the course registration period that follows their internship period. If the student did not enroll the INAR 3311 course, she/he has to enroll within the following semester. The submission of the internship files is only possible if the student enrolled the course.
In the building where students realize their internship, the level of rough construction work must be completed and the level of fine construction must be in progress. Students must be able to keep track of the process of finishing coat, ceramic, drywall, furnishing and so on. The students must observe the whole process of fine construction respectively and must define it in the Internship Record Book.
During the period of 20 workdays, students may go to the diverse construction fields of the firm where they do their internship and observe different stages and details.
While students are recording the work followed up by themselves, they must describe it technically and must support their descriptions with visual materials. (Photos, sketches-verbal and visual description must coexist).
It must be authenticated by means of colored photos that the manufacturing process has been observed through different stages. The photos must be numbered and must have captions.
At least one page should be reserved for each day in the Internship Book, the number should be increased according to the needs, the authorized interior architect / architect must sign and stamp pages and the internship book should be scanned and uploaded onto the “Lectures” system. Students must keep the books so that the original of the file may be requested if necessary. The Internship Evaluation Form should be delivered to the Departmental Internship Commission in an enclosed envelope.
The Internship of Office:
The students of Department of Interior Architecture and Environmental Design who complete the 6th semester are obliged to do internship of office at offices, which are supervised by the Chamber of Architects/Interior Architects for 20 workdays minimum.
Students must select the course of INAR 4411 Summer Practice for Interiors (Office) during the course registration period that follows their internship period. If the student did not enroll the INAR 4411 course, she/he has to enroll within the following semester. The submission of the internship files is only possible if the student enrolled the course.
Students have to treat time in the most efficient way in the course of internship. At the end of the internship, students are expected to have the ability to practice the knowledge by taking the advantage of their education.
During the internship, students must take place in the stages of design and drawing of architectural projects and must contribute to these stages. (The students from interior architecture must observe interior design, application projects and the details of project.)
The students must record the work done and observed on the Record Book and must definitely support it with visual elements (drawings, tables etc…).Yet, the size of the added drawings must be in the format of A4 (If necessary, A3 size drawing can be folded. No drawings larger than A3 are accepted). The drawings prepared via AutoCAD, 3Dmax, ArchiCAD, Photoshop being in the format of CD, DVD, PDF are supposed to be delivered in an envelope adhered to the back side of internship evaluation form by demonstrating the name –surname and the notice of the semester.
At least one page should be reserved for each day in the Internship Book, the number of pages for each day can be increased if needed, the authorized interior architect/architect must sign the pages and the internship book should be scanned and uploaded into the ‘lectures’ system. Students must keep the books so that the original of the file may be requested if necessary. The internship evaluation form should be delivered to Departmental Internship Commission in an enclosed envelope.
ERASMUS Student Placement (Internship)
Placement is a process of a higher education student in a business enterprise or organization of a program country to have vocational training and/or obtaining work experience.
With the Erasmus Internship, you can earn international work experience, a certain amount of financial support (grants) for internship costs, and recognition of the internship process with an ECTS credit. Internship (public-private) can be done in all departments that match the department of Interior Architecture and Environmental Design and a business that is compatible with the professional field. (European Union institutions and EU agencies, organizations carrying out EU programs and grant recipients, diplomatic missions are not eligible.)
Erasmus Internship, EU countries (Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Ireland, Greece, Spain, France, Croatia, Italy, Cyprus, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Hungary, Malta, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Finland, Sweden, the United Kingdom) and the Non-EU Member States of the Program (Macedonia, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway).
To find an internship place;
erasmus.yasar.edu.tr (“Erasmus placement calls” section) and Information can be obtained from the Erasmus Department Coordinators. Erasmus internship grants are announced annually and delivered as 70% before departure and 30% after completion.
- Grade average: %50
- Undergraduate students: 2.20 / 4.00
- Foreign language proficiency 50% (It is required to score 50 points at the examination of the English proficiency test of Yaşar University, which will be arranged after the application.)
(While the academic achievement and the foreign language score averages of the students who have benefited from mobility within the Erasmus program have been calculated within the same learning stage, a reduction of 10 points is applied for each activity previously used.) The selection criteria are determined by quotas and available grants.
It is also possible to become an intern without grants.
Step 1: Acceptance letter from the institution to be interned (A detailed file / portfolio delivery to be provided by the student is given to the Internship Commission with the application.) After the research, the internship institution will be approved or not.
Step 2: Completing the online application
Step 3: Receiving the application form and submitting it to the Erasmus Department Coordinator before the date of the announcement together with the additional documentation
Documents to be attached to the signed application form
Letter of acceptance
Language document (if any)
Online language support (OLS)
Students who will attend Erasmus program will be subject to an online language exam before and after the mobility. (Students whose mother tongue is one of the languages below are exempt from this rule). These exams are applied in six different languages, which are German, English, Spanish, French, Italian and Dutch. There is a possibility to provide a language support to students whose first exam grade is low. If a student does not complete the first language exam, it is not possible to sign a contract with the student and accordingly students are not sent abroad.
- Submitting required documents complete & on time
- Arranging accommodation
- Getting necessary visas & insurance
The application date is announced on the web page of erasmus.yasar.edu.tr
Decision: Depending on the European Union Research and Application Center’s “International Internship Mobility” writing that is dated in 29.09.2015 and numbered as 860, the meetings held on 20.10.2015 with the number 30, it was decided that the internship activity, For 2 months, “Erasmus Placement / Erasmus Internship” will be credited as “8 ECTS” with the code “ERAS 102”, for 3 months with the code “ERAS 103” will be credited as “10 ECTS”, as shown in the table below:
|Course Code and Name||Duration||AKTS Credits|
|ERAS 102 Erasmus Placement||2 Months||8|
|ERAS 102 Erasmus Placement||3 Months||10|
Students who will do an Erasmus internship are obliged to have “Accident and Liability Insurance” before going to the country where they will do internship.