Ongoing Scientific Research Projects
- Exploring Additive Manufacturing Technologies for the Realization of Continuum and Discrete Topology Optimized Structures, Scientific Research Project, Yaşar University, November 2019
- Assist.Prof. (PhD) Mauricio Gabriel MORALES BELTRAN
- Res.Assist. Fulya ÖZBEY
- Architect Berk SELAMOĞLU
Summary:This Research Project (RP) will provide with quantitative data to benchmark problems in the field of topology optimization; it will propose a methodological approach to design structures in the context of architecture, based on topology optimization (TO) and additive manufacturing (AM) techniques; it will increase knowledge in both fields: AM and TO.
Contribution to the solution of problem. Most of the topology optimized solutions to classic design problems rely on the fabrication of continuum systems, i.e. in systems that strongly resemble the organic nature of the optimized schemes. This RP will provide a 3D method to convert continuum topologies into discrete systems; it will also provide a comparative framework to assess continuum vs discrete structures.
Innovative aspects: The incorporation of the additive manufacturing technologies as a design constraint in topology optimization is been scarcely studied in related research. The first stage of the research (the BAP-phase) will advance knowledge on computational implementations, by specifically proposing a customized design method. Furthermore, during the BAP-phase, the possibilities for further optimization of the fabrication process given by the KUKA Robot Arm (which is widely used) will be explored experimentally. During the (intended) TUBITAK-phase, innovative value will be added to the research by fabricating real scale prototypes resulting from the application of the 3D topology optimization design method.
Publications (May 2014 – September 2020)
- Cubukcuoglu, C., Tasgetiren, M.F., Sariyildiz, I.S., Liang, G. (2019) Metaheuristic Algorithms for Solving the Multi-Objective Quadratic Assignment Problem in Hospital Design, ICPR 2019, August 12-14, 2019 in Chicago, USA, Abstract accepted, Full paper is in progress.
- Cubukcuoglu, C., Tasgetiren, M.F., Sariyildiz, I.S., Liang, G. (2019). Metaheuristic Algorithms for Solving the Multi-Objective Quadratic Assignment Problem in Hospital Design, Elsevier’s Procedia Manufacturing, 2019, Full paper is in progress.
- Emgin, B., Paykoç, E., Demirbaş, Ö. O., Kılınç, K. (Eds). Design in Times of Turmoil: Displacement, Replacement, Emplacement. İzmir: Yaşar Unviersity & 4T: Design & Design History Society, 2017. ISBN: 978-975-6339-64-0
- Alkan Korkmaz, S., Özmen, G., Oksel Ferraris, Y., Bengisu, E. (2015). “[En]closed Balconies: Something Extra Proceedings of ArchDesign ’15 Architectural Design Conference, İstanbul, Türkiye. 6-8 July 2015, Tulum (ed), pp.283-294, ISBN 978-605-9207-06-5
- Ballice, G. (2015). “Bornova Gençlik Merkezi İç Mekan Tasarım Projesi”, BIF-Bornova İçin Fikirler, Bornova Belediyesi Kentsel Tasarım Müdürlüğü, ISSN: 2149-7710.
- Eranıl Demirli, M., Tuna Ultav, Z., Demirtas-Milz, N. (2015). “A socio-spatial analysis of urban transformation at a neighborhood scale: The case of the relocation of Kadifekale inhabitants to TOKI Uzundere in Izmir”, Cities 48 (2015), pp.140-159. ISSN: 0264-2751. (WoS: Social Sciences Citation Index, Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals, Scopus, …)
- Tuna Ultav, Z. (2015). “Manfredo Tafuri ve Avangardda Özerklik Sorunsalı”, Mimarİst 55 (2015). ISSN 1302-8219. (DAAI – Design and Applied Arts Index).
- “İzmir’de kentsel dönüşüm bağlamında inşa edilen toplu konutlarda mekan, tasarım ve gündelik yaşam ilişkilerinin analizi: Örnekköy ve Uzundere yerleşimleri”, 2015-2016, TUBİTAK, Program kodu:1002, Proje No: 114K966
- Tuna Ultav, Z. (2014). Çeviri: “Kanon’un İçinde Ne Bulunmaktadır?” (S. Attiwill, “What is in a Canon?” Thinking Inside the Box). İçmimar36 (2014): 69-76. ISSN: 1305-9580.